For a long time, manure’s reputation stunk. But this natural, renewable fertilizer is making a sweet comeback in ag and gardening thanks to research, technology and a long list of benefits.
- It’s a natural soil builder. The nutrients in manure greatly improve soil quality.
- Manure reduces erosion and runoff. It helps growers maintain the precious soil we need to feed ourselves and the world.
- Technology has caught up to the smell. Mitigation programs and knifing injection technologies have greatly reduced odor.
- Reduced carbon emissions. Manure keeps more carbon in the soil, resulting in lower amounts being released into the atmosphere.
- Lowered energy expense. Substituting manure for commercial fertilizers significantly reduces crop production energy costs.